Go back to normal view
The New Mission Church at New Earswick
This report was printed in the York Herald November 8th 1913:
"St Andrew’s Mission Church at New Earswick which is to be dedicated today by the Archbishop of York [Cosmo Lang] has been erected on the high ground on the Huntington road side of the Model Village, which it overlooks. The church is small and plain but it will be comfortably fitted and fully equipped for its purpose."
We celebrated the centenary of St Andrew’s in November 2013. As part of our celebrations we invited people to share their memories of St Andrew’s. The idea wass to collect pictures and memories which were included in an exhibition and hopefully to produce a book to form a lasting legacy for future generations.
100 years ago when the new church of St. Andrew’s was built, the parish of Huntington was a very different place. Huntington village was largely agricultural although there were some shops, a windmill and 3 pubs! There was a railway, a station and level crossing across what is now Link Rd and a coal yard but no housing estates. The model village of New Earswick was being developed but the only access was along ‘sleeper path’(the path between the allotments and St Andrew’s), there being no ring road. Although Joseph Rowntree had envisaged the Folk Hall to be used as a place of worship, as more families were moving into the south of the area now known as ‘the old village’ the vicar of All Saints, Revd Storrs-Fox had a vision for expanding the ministry of the church into South Huntington and New Earswick. He persuaded the church authorities to build a mission church next to the railway station. All Saints bought the land, which was owned by St Martin’s Coney Street, for £60. Fund raising went ahead with Joseph Rowntree providing the largest single donation of £250 a considerable sum in 1913. Those who gave donations over 5 shillings (25p) had their names listed but one person signed his name merely as ‘a penitent sinner’ and donated 10 shillings (50p).
Throughout the 100 years that St. Andrew’s has existed, there has been a vision for involvement in the community. Together with All Saints, both churches provide not only places of worship, but centres where members of the wider parish can come for a variety of activities.
To celebrate the centenary of St. Andrew’s we launched some fundraising to refurbish the hall and kitchen so that we can continue to serve the community, with most of the work being completed by the summer of 2014.